Sunday, June 13, 2010

You might not always end up where you thought you were going to, but you always end up where you were meant to be...


Isn't it amazing sometimes when you look back on where you've been, where you're at, and where you're going? Its been on my mind a lot lately how differently I had always planned my life to be. Sitting in the back of the classroom during my freshman year of high school, I remember daydreaming about my life, as though I held the remote control to destiny. Well, apparently, it was a faulty remote control, or my destiny got mixed up with someone elses.

According to my "plan," I was going to get married right out of high school, have about 4 or 5 kids, and be a stay-at-home mom until my kids were old enough to go off to school, and then I would go to school to get my teaching degree and I would teach grade school until my husband and I retired and we spent the rest of our days traveling to places I'd only dreamt about.

The first clue that my "plan" was a complete bust was when I graduated from high school as single as I had been going into high school. Thereafter, things deviated from the "plan" much, much more. I went to Europe the summer after graduation and once the summer was over, I started taking classes at the community college and found myself a job working at bank.

Here it is, close to 10 years post-high school, and I have been to Europe twice, been to the Caribbean, worked at one of the most well-known companies in America, lived on my own, paid my own bills, and found my way in the world on my own. I've experienced relationships, both good and bad, gotten my heart broken, and have recently had the pieces put back together after finding love for the first time. I've experienced pain, joy, grief, loss, humiliation, excitement, and love all on my own. So, I look back on my "plan" of how life was supposed to go and I am amazed that destiny knows better than we do and it has beeter plans than we can conjure up for ourselves when we are sitting in the back of a class at the age of 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment