Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My favorite gift I have given....

Since I blogged earlier about the White Elephant gift that has likely resulted in brain damage- I am reminded of another Christmas memory that turned out just as poorly. My roommate and I, a few years back, decided that instead of spending money on one another, we would spend the evening watching Christmas movies, drinking hot chocolate. What is Christmas though without a few presents, though, right? So, we agreed a few weeks prior to Christmas that we would wrap random things for one another... things around the house, things we didn't want anymore, etc... As luck would have it- I discovered the PERFECT Christmas present when my roommates car was broken into. Before you get your britches in a bunch, though, about me finding delight in his misfortune, wait til you know the rest of the story before passing judgment. So... as I said, his car was broken into, and the poor chap thought his gigantic case of CD's had been stolen. I, on the other hand, had discovered that he had left his CD's at home that day. So, before he got home from work that day, I snagged those CD's and proceeded to wrap them up. I could imagine it then... him opening his packages of randomocity on Christmas, and then opening up a gift to find his CD's that he had been so heartbroken to lose. This, by far, was one of my best ideas ever........................ up until the point that he told me he had filed an insurance claim for the "stolen CD's." Panic.... that was the new feeling I had. No longer was my heart filled with joy-- but with stinkin' panic. "Stolen CD's"..... I wondered what would happen when the insurance company-- as well as my roomie, found out that the stealer was also the gifter? So, in my imfamous wisdom, I decided to celebrate Christmas THAT DAY, so as to allow him time to cancel his claim once he realized that the CD's were still safe and sound, and literally right within his reach. We proceeded to open gifts, and I even got a little teary eyed as I was so pleased with myself. As he opened the well thought out gift, his face turned a Christmas shade of red, and it was then that I realized he did not share my excitement. Fortunately... I am alive to tell the tale, and he was able to cancel the claim so, he is doing well, too, and not sitting in a jail cell for insurance fraud. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment